Hankering for something yummy, easy, and filling to go with your soup, chili, sandwich, or as a snack? You definitely need to try this bread! Klint has been making us wheat bread for chicken noodle soup and for the girls lunches, but today he tried his hand at white bread and it was YUMMO! I had no clue that it was so easy to make bread, cheaper, and healthier since the majority of store bought bread has high fructose corn syrup. (Seriously, why is that an ingredient in BREAD!?)
Anyhow, here is the recipe…. give it a try and you will not be dissapointed!
Easy White Bread- yields 2 loaves
- 2 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 6 cups bread flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve the sugar in warm water, and then stir in yeast. Allow to proof until yeast resembles a creamy foam.
- Mix salt and oil into the yeast. Mix in flour one cup at a time. Knead dough on a lightly floured surface until smooth. Place in a well oiled bowl, and turn dough to coat. Cover with a damp cloth. Allow to rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Knead for a few minutes, and divide in half. Shape into loaves, and place into two well oiled 9×5 inch loaf pans. Allow to rise for 30 minutes, or until dough has risen 1 inch above pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 minutes.
This is going to be perfect with our chicken tortilla soup tonight!