Recently I had the privilege to create a fairy out of my adorable “niece” Hailey. I had so much fun with the photo that I also took a photo of Moira with the sole purpose in mind of turning her into a fairy as well. Well, people liked the photo tons, and many asked how I did it. Hence I am creating this tutorial showing the process that I use to create a soft, magical type of photo. **There are many many ways to do things in Photoshop, I’m sure that there are different things that you can do to create the same effect. This is simply my process. **
1. Open your image in Photoshop. (I use Photoshop CS6)
2. Color correct the image and balance the brightness like you would any image.
3. Create a new layer and change the layer to “Overlay”
4. Using a soft white brush, highlight the skin. This will look very bright and not normal at first, just go with it.
5. Turn the opacity down to something that looks more magical glowing than ghostly.
6. Compress the layers into one.
7. Now is where you can add color effects and whatnot. I used an action called Peachy Glow from The Coffeeshop Blog.
If you aren’t familiar with actions, they are AWESOME.
The Coffeeshop Blog in particular is my favorite source of actions.
8. Once you are satisfied with the effects, create a new layer. This is where you are going to add the wings and the glitter effect.
9. Find a brush pack that has wings that you like. I got mine from Deviant Art but there are tons out there.
Play around and find a pair of wings that you like and add the them to the empty layer.
You may have to do a little positioning and erasing to get the effect that you want.
10. Once you are set with the wings open your glitter brush. (Same deal as the wings, do a search there are tons of glitter brushes out there.)
**Make sure you make another layer so that you have more control over what is going on.
11. I added some larger glitter effect to the dandalion she was holding, turning into a magic wand.
I also add some sparkle lines to add a magical effect. It is all about taste and what you are looking for.
12. From there you can crop the photo or what not. That is the jist of how I turn adorable kids into fairies! Enjoy and let me know if you have any questions.
(This was the first time doing a tutorial like this so there is a pretty good chance I am going to confuse someone about the process, lol!)